HPI Baja 5B Petrol Powered Buggy Rolling Chassis Kit 1:5 – HPI-160323
BUILD YOUR OWN ORIGINAL,
AUTHENTIC HPI BAJA 5B!
HPI large scale fans, we have heard you! The one and only original HPI Baja 5B is BACK and ready for you to build from the ground up! The HPI SBK collection of Self Build Kits grows with the addition of not just one, but TWO 1/5th scale HPI kits! Fans of large scale off-road RC will be super excited to build their own gas-powered 1/5th scale Buggy with the HPI Baja 5B Self Build Kit!
Now, YOU can build and own the legend! Experience the thrill and excitement of building a car which ends up being over 80cm (nearly 32 inches) long and weighing nearly 10kg (over 21 lb)! Just install your own engine and electronics as you build the HPI Baja 5B and you’ll be ready for any adventure that comes your way!
With extra-tough drivetrain parts like the viscous torque differential, super-durable composite spur gear with internal damping and all-metal drivetrain, the HPI Baja 5B is ready for your 23-32cc 2-stroke engine so you can experience the joy of gas-powered RC and up to 30-minute runtimes!
The HPI Baja 5B is also equipped with extra-big and super-tough suspension parts, featuring awesome HPI durability! With its expertly designed molded composite suspension plus extra-long adjustable HD shocks, and massive high impact nylon 3-piece beadlock wheels, the Baja 5B is ready for full-speed racing on any off-road circuit!
The 4mm thick 6061 aluminum monocoque chassis gives the HPI Baja 5B the classic desert racing buggy look. Precisely bent into shape for maximum strength, the chassis provides the mounting points for the engine and suspension, forming the backbone of the car. Precise steering is provided by a dual-bellcrank rack and cam-type servo saver. Aluminum parts are anodized in cool gunmetal and the classic Baja desert racer clear polycarbonate body is included in the SBK kit, ready for your custom racing scheme!
The Baja 5B SBK is a great addition to your HPI collection, as well as a fabulous introduction to large scale buggies!
RACING CHASSIS DESIGN & LAYOUT
The narrow channel chassis made from rigid 4mm 6061 aircraft aluminum and gives the HPI Baja 5B a classic desert racing buggy look and extreme stiffness and durability. The U-shaped chassis is protected at the rear with a thick plastic skid plate for extra protection to the motor and drivetrain.
The tube roll cage is made of high impact nylon and topped with a real aluminum roof to carry on the classic looks. The roll cage is fully functional and protects the motor and internals from crash damage. The roll cage, radio box, body panels, wing, undertray and gear case are all mounted with fast access clips for easy maintenance.
3-PIECE BEADLOCK WHEELS &
OFF-ROAD RACING TIRES
Specially constructed high-impact nylon 3-piece bead lock wheels are included, featuring NEW inset heavy-duty metal hex hub inserts for massively increased wheel durability. The contrasting beadlock ring is bolted onto the wheel with 20 screws to securely hold the tire in place. No glue is used to mount the tires, which makes changing the tires quick and easy and the wheels can be used again with brand new tires.
To allow the HPI Baja 5B buggies to go anywhere, Dirt Buster off-road tires are included that are ideally suited for off-road conditions. The Dirt Buster S Compound rear tires use a versatile square pin design that sheds mud and gives amazing grip for massive top speed runs, while the Dirt Buster rib tires provide the direction and steering necessary for pinpoint accuracy on the track. The rear tires use a special high-density racing style closed-cell inner foam which are firmer and longer-lasting than standard open-cell foam inserts. The closed cell Insert allows the tires to keep their shape and offer greater grip levels in tougher conditions.
ROCK-SOLID RELIABLE DRIVETRAIN
The legendary HPI Baja 5B Viscous Torque Control differential delivers the power to the rear wheels with smoothness and precision, starting with the unique composite spur gear with internal damping. The differential can be easily tuned by using differential oils of various viscosities. The metal alloy diff case is finned for extra heat dissipation and to keep the internal gears firmly in place. The HD diff outdrives or cups are machined from hardened metal for reliable performance in all conditions. The internal gears are also made from hardened metal to handle huge power, big-air jumps and huge top speeds!
HIGH CAPACITY FUEL TANK
Along with their obvious HUGE size, large scale RC kits are known for their extra-long runtimes – and the HPI Baja 5B is no different! The massive 700cc fuel tank is big enough to allow a 23-26cc size engine to run for up to 30 minutes at top speeds (larger engines will have a shorter runtime)! With the tank located centrally in the chassis, there is no change in handling as the fuel is used up. All required fuel and expansion lines are included in the HPI Baja 5B SBK. Note: the fuel tank should NOT be refilled while the engine is running. Make sure to shut down the engine completely before removing the fuel tank cap.
HIGH PERFORMANCE BIG BORE SHOCKS
The HPI Baja 5B SBK features long-stroke off-road suspension with huge coilover shocks featuring Heavy Duty construction. The HPI Baja 5B’s HD shocks deliver improved handling over rough terrain and feature extra-large 6mm diameter shock shafts for ultimate durability. The rear shocks feature dual-rate springs for optimal traction on rough terrain. Threaded shock bodies are used for easy adjustment of ride height and pre-load, and each Baja Big Bore shock features extra-long springs, rubber shaft seals and all-metal body construction for consistently perfect control on all types of off-road terrain.
The Baja 5B SBK Rolling Chassis Kit comes with these Heavy duty Parts:
- Front and Rear sway bar kit
- Super Heavy Duty driveshafts HPI-104966
- Heavy Duty rear hub carriers HPI-104781
- Heavy Duty front Hex hubs with locking nuts HPI-105612
- Unassembled 1/5th scale Off-Road Buggy
- Ready for your 23-32cc RC engine
- Ready for your electronics
- 700cc Fuel tank
- Enclosed radio box
- Baja desert racing body design
- Adjustable HD shock absorbers
- Monocoque chassis
- Low CG for superior handling
- Long travel suspension
- Viscous torque oil-filled gear differential
- All-terrain tires
- Beadlock wheels with metal insert hubs
- Aluminum rear shock tower
- Hard plastic skid plates
- Adjustable rear wing
- Quick access to all critical maintenance points
- Dual bellcrank steering
- Cam type servo saver
- Race spec Hex socket hardware
- Gunmetal anodizing
- Full set of rubber-sealed ball bearings
- Overall Length 817mm
- Height: 255mm
- Width: Front – 460mm; Rear – 480mm
- Tire Track (to center of tires): Front – 395mm; Rear – 400mm
- Wheelbase: 570mm
- Ride Height: 76mm
- Suspension Travel: Front – 95mm; Rear – 100mm
- Weight: 9.6kg (21.3lb)
- Adjustable Camber: front – shims; rear – screw
- Front caster: adjustable with shim 22 / 25.5* / 29 degrees (* stock)
- Toe-in: Front adjustable with tie rod; Rear adjustable with inserts 0-4 degrees (3 degrees stock set-up)
- Aircraft aluminum 6061 T6 monocoque chassis
- Double wishbone suspension with adjustable roll center F/R
- Drive system: HD metal gears with sealed gear box (8.382:1 gear ratio)
- Differential: viscous torque control with 4 pinion gears; sealed diff case with silicone oil
- Shock absorber: HD Aluminum coilover shock absorber with fully adjustable preload collar
- Wheel type: 3-piece beadlock design, high impact nylon material with inset heavy-duty metal hex hub
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Radio system with transmitter, and receiver
- Large scale (1:5)steering servo
- 1/10th scale throttle/ brake servo
- 23-32cc RC engine with muffler or pipe
- Hump style 6V receiver battery pack with Tamiya plug
- Battery charger
- AA alkaline batteries for the transmitter
- 91 Octane petrol
- Mineral based 2-stroke oil (mixed with petrol at 25:1)